This is definitely going to sound like a journal entry, especially since I do not have any pictures of d.c. on this computer. I just thought I should record how it has been going thus far.
First off, Emma was a champ on the airplane. She played on the first 2.5 hour flight. in between planes she made her messy diaper, and then slept the other 2.5 plane ride, literally from before to take off to when we landed. It was wonderful!
The place we are staying at is definitely doable. I was impressed with Aaron's one-day house-finding skills. The first night here Aaron and Emma were having a 'horsey ride' and came across a chunk of glass on the carpet. Turns out, there were pieces of glass all around the apartment. Obviously the house cleaner before hadn't done the greatest job. Most of it was clean, it just needed a bit of a touch up. (I will admit though, that when it comes to clean, I'm a bit OCD.) So it wasn't really that big of deal, I'm just glad Aaron came across the glass before Emma did.
After I had been here a few days, I figured Aaron had dragged me out here to be his maid and taxi driver. It was rainy all week, all day and night, so Emma and I were pulling our hair out trying to think of things to do. Trying to figure out where I was going, stocking the empty shelves with food, doing all of his laundry, cooking...blah blah! Come Saturday I was definitely ready to go back home, I know I'm a wimp. And, it didn't help that Emma was asking to go papa nana's house, or Caden's house at least once an hour!
Luckily we had an invite to go to a friend's farm in Virginia that weekend, so we all got a little break. The farm we went to was absolutely gorgeous. It was like being in a movie. We spent a day at the farm, and then the next morning took off to the beach. Right before the beach, we stopped at McDonald's and if Emma could say what her favorite part of the trip was, I'd say the McDonald's play place would be in the top three. The beach we went to was definitely an adventure, but it served its purpose. Emma got to run around and wear herself out for the car ride home.
The next week was tons better. The sun decided to show itself, so Emma and I were able to get out and do. The parks here are huge. In Utah there's tons of mini parks all throughout the neighborhoods, but here I think everyone has such a massive yard, that they figure they don't need little ones. So when there is a park, everything is there. The one closest to us, Cabin John, is adorable. There is a huge area to play with all sorts of playground equipment for every age, picnic tables and walking trails, and Emma's favorite, a train that the children can ride. This is definitely our saving grace.
The sights here are beautiful, not to mention the landscape. It is so green, (since it rains all the time!) Aaron and I spent all day Saturday around the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WWII, Korean War, etc. They have a walkway here called the National Mall that has all the views of d.c that you find on post cards. The greatest thing is, most of the museums are free (you just pay for 'em in your taxes!) So far we've been to the Natural History Museum and the National Zoological Park...fancy name for the zoo.
It's kind of a trek to get to these places if you don't want to pay for parking (who would, it's ridiculous) If you have a stroller, don't count on anyone letting you on the metro first. Everyone runs in front of you so they don't get stuck behind you, it's ridiculous. (gotta love the big city attitude) Also, the metro centers are not exactly wheel friendly places. For example, Emma and I went to meet Aaron for lunch downtown the other day, and when I got to the metro, the escalator to go down was broken, and I couldn't find the elevator anywhere, so I had no choice but to carry Emma in one arm and the stroller in the other down the escalator. And of course, not a single person offered to help, except for a lady behind me that offered to walk in front of me to make sure I didn't drop anything...uh, thanks! My face was one hot tamale by the time I finished, I just had to laugh.
This weekend, being Father's Day, we're going to venture down to Virginia Beach and spend a day at the beach. I can't wait to get out of this rainy city (it's been raining again, of course and will be until Saturday!) and veg on the beach. Emma is so excited. She keeps holding up the toys that we are going to take with us and pretend to take off to the beach.
Her little imagination has started to take off. Her latest thing is to get a grocery sack, open the door and say, bye mom, store for milk, soso(soda) appie(apple) juice and sometimes fruit snacks. She'll take off for a while outside in the hallway, then come back in and pretend to hand me the groceries and help put them away. Too funny. I love it when she thinks it's time to change her baby's diaper, she takes great care in choosing the diaper that has the sesame street character her baby wants. I just have to catch her before she throws the "dirty" one in the trash b/c it's still perfectly clean...can't waste those precious things.
All in all, this adventure of ours is turning out to be really fun. Not to mention, Aaron loves his internship at the Treasury, and I think it's convinced us both that we do not want to live in a big city. (phew:) More adventures are sure to come. The pictures, however, will have to wait until I get back to Utah.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like your having an adventure! And I hate to tell you this, but its been raining here pretty much every day since you left (I'm not even exaggerating) so I don't feel that bad for your weather woes.:) We had to postpone the primary water party--maybe you'll get to come after all! Hope the rest of your trip goes well!
Thank you for writing all that!! When do you get back and what city are you living in? How far is it from DC and do people like the schools? (I could ask like 1000 more questions). It sounds really nice. I will call you soon.
Post a Comment